Proverbs 13:20 – He that walketh with wise men shall be wise: but a companion of fools shall be destroyed.
Genesis 1:26 – And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.
The definition of Dominion – to rule, have dominion, dominate, tread down, and to subjugate.
God gave man dominion over everything but man. Yet, this is where the battle has always been, every since man’s fall in the Garden of Eden. It is seen very clearly in the murder of Abel by his brother Cain. Man’s greatest desire was to rule over the very thing God alone can rule over and that is man!
1. The less you associate with some people, the more your life will improve. Any time you tolerate mediocrity in others, it increases your mediocrity. An important attribute in successful people is their impatience with negative thinking and negative acting people. (Joseph told his father, Jacob about his brothers’ dealings because he did not tolerate mediocrity.)
2. As you grow, your associates will change. Some of your friends will not want you to grow with you. They will want you to stay where they are…
Friends that don’t help you climb will want you to crawl. Your friends will stretch your vision or choke your dream. Those that don’t increase you will eventually decrease you. (Joseph’s brothers thought they sold him into slavery but they were instruments in God’s Hands to expand Joseph.)
3. Never receive counsel from unproductive people. Never discuss your problems with someone incapable of contributing to the solution, because those who never succeed themselves are always first to tell you how. Not everyone has a right to speak into your life. You are certain to get the worst of the bargain when you exchange ideas with the wrong person. Don’t follow anyone who’s not going anywhere…(Potiphar’s wife was suggesting things to Joseph that was ill advised and it was from the lips of a loser.)
4. f you run with wolves, you will learn how to howl. But, if you associate with eagles, you will learn how to soar to great heights.The simple but true fact of life is that you become like those with whom you closely associate – for the good and the bad.
5. “In prosperity our friends know us. In adversity we know our friends. You need to count your hard times as a blessing. For in them, you will find the kind of friends with which you should associate.
6. “Never make someone a priority when you are only an option for them. (Joseph asked the butler to make his request before Pharaoh, but Joseph was an option to the butler. Now that he was reinstated, Joseph’s gift or his needs did not matter.) One of the more demoralizing things in life is to allow another human being to discount your value. Too many good women are waiting in line for Bozo thinking he is Boaz. Too many good guys are in a line waiting on Rut, thinking she is Ruth. Bozo or Rut shows up late, if at all. Then they leave you with the burden of their inconsiderate nature, several bills to pay, and the trauma that seem to last a life-time. “Stop allowing Cain to kill your Abel”
7. “If you are going to achieve excellence in big things, you must develop that habit in little matters. Excellence is not an exception, it is a prevailing attitude..”..